Thursday, March 30, 2006

carpe diem



I had a website for my shoppe, nothing fancy -- just some basic info. I updated about once a year, always intending to improve it one day.

Today was the day, although I didn't know that until yesterday!!!

I receive an email that my site can't be reached. First thought: they typed it in wrong. I check it out. I sure didn't type it in wrong but it's not there? I surf over to my web hoster to see what's up. I try to sign in, because they most certainly won't help you with anything if you don't sign in.

Shit! What's my password? *Scrambles through about a hundred sheets of scratch paper to no avail.*

Ok, I'll just type in my email addy & say I forgot my password. "Invalid Email" blinks at me from the screen. What? I type it again...same thing. Long story short, after 40 minutes on the site I can't talk to them without a password/email & no phone number. Yeah, now I see why they were so cheap.

Now I surf over to whois to check out if I still am. I'm not. Damn! They let my domain name expire a few days ago. Now what?

I decided to eat this cake while I thought about what to do next.

Ok, not really...but I didn't want to bore you without a few really cool pics in between my story. I'll continue...

I am "The Eternal Optimist". Not only is my glass half full; there's plenty more in the fridge.

I remembered seeing an email I received from yahoo...something about a $2.99 domain name. Ok. Good place to start. Surf over to yahoo -- deals expired. :-P But, wait! FREE domain name with purchase of small biz web hosting plan. $11.95/month. This I can handle. *thumbs up*

After finding out that, in fact, pastryprincess.com is available (YES!) I decide to go with the more practical -- uypastry.com

Forms to fill, lots of filling forms...damn! $25.00 sign up fee? Ok, now I need to think about it some more.

About an hour later I realize that I still have to do it. Filling forms, again...hey! All of a sudden it says: Act Now! Waiving $25 sign up fee. *thumbs up again*

Forms to fill, filling forms...oh...almost done...last page of forms...submit button on the bottom after I double check everything...wait a minute, I can see everything but the column with the price in?

(This happens to me sometimes as I am a huge fan of the Opera browser. Everything doesn't work in Opera :-( unfortunately.)

Ok. Over to Firefox. Do everything again. Finally get to the submit page...YAY!!! Not only did it credit the sign up fee, but because I use their DSL & phone service they gave an additional 20% discount!!! *double thumbs up*

"Gratuitous Cake Shot"

"Turtle Cheesecake" Desrip: A vanilla cheesecake with toasted Georgia pecans & homemade caramel swirled inside. Topped & piped with Belgian chocolate glaze.

So, in about a day & a half, I have succeeded in designing (with a little yahoo sitebuilder help;-) & uploading a new & greatly improved website (compared to my last one, that is). Please check it out, tell me what you think, tell me if something doesn't work, & if you like it, send me lots of compliments! :-D

(Like I said before, I use Opera, so I don't have the button to insert the ahrefs - or whatever you call them - into the post like most of you do. *Wipes away a tear* But I did manage to put a link in my side bar; or just type it in uypastry.com)

7 Responses to “carpe diem”

kiki said...

nice nice nice

i still can't get a cake sent over here can i?

Tiffanie said...

Everyday when I read your blog, I get hungry.

I like the optimist part about having more in the fridge. That's great :)

LCC Katy said...

Okay so I have to admit, everyday right after checking out the New York Hack blog I surf over to yours to get my sugar fix for the day. I went to the new website and it looks fabulous. Love all the yummy pictures. But my favorite part was where it said you SHIP ALL OVER THE WORLD. SO I will have to place your web address discretly in the sight of my husband so that he hopefully get the hint to get me a birthday pastrie or cake shiped from you. yummmm.

Polyman2 said...

You are one smart sweet cookie.

jin said...

kiki: I have never shipped to Australia before. England, Switzerland, Alaska & Canada regularly. It costs $60-$80 to ship to England...I would assume around the same to you. But, if I ever win the lotto, I will ship you a box for free. Promise.

tiffanie: Thanks so much! Glad to see you back! Too bad you don't live in the neighborhood...you could just walk over & pick something up when you get that hungry... ;-)

katy: I am glad you like the new site! Today I managed to convert our brochure to a pdf so I will be adding that to the website. If I do it right you'll be able to download it & check out all our stuff with descriptions & prices. I think I'll put the link on the front page...look for it tomorrow *fingers crossed*.

polyman: Aw...*blush*. You are pretty sweet yourself. Thanks for the comments about your biz. Your insight helped me out. :-)

doc slm: LOLOLOL!!! I can actually visualize that!
Thank you too, for the great compliment. They mean a lot to me. :-)

Unknown said...

As always, wow. I am hungry now.